This year marks 127 years since Kokichi Mikimoto succeeded in the cultivation of pearls.
Mikimoto Kōkichi was a Japanese entrepreneur who is credited with creating the first cultured pearl… After severe financial hardships and innumerable setbacks including devastating red algae blooms, Kokichi Mikimoto became the first in the world to successfully culture a semi-spherical pearl on July 11, 1893… The site of his success was the island of Ojima near Toba, now known as Mikimoto Pearl Island… He subsequently started the cultured pearl industry with the establishment of his luxury pearl company Mikimoto… Mikimoto Pearl Island is named after him…
Fast facts :
– Kokichi Mikimoto succeeded in creating the world’s first cultured pearl.
– The first MIKIMOTO Pearl Store opened.
– Kokichi Mikimoto continued his research more than ten years after the invention of the semispherical pearl to finally succeed at inventing a perfectly round pearl.
– Mikimoto opened Japan’s first dedicated full-scale gold and jewellery work factory.
– Kokichi Mikimoto burned inferior pearls in front of the Kobe Chamber of Commerce demonstrating his commitment to maintaining the quality standards of Japanese pearls, both domestically and abroad.
The process of culturing Black South Sea pearls was originated by Kokichi Mikimoto. A warm, natural, golden colored pearl is produced by the golden-lipped oysters. They pearls can range from light champagne to deep gold, with every shade in-between…
Unlike gemstones or precious metals that must be mined from the earth, pearls are grown by live oysters far below the surface of the sea. … The oyster begins to secrete a smooth, hard crystalline substance around the irritant in order to protect itself. This substance is called “nacre.”
Do you know his creation was used in the crown of Miss Universe between 2002-2007. It was called Phoenix Miki-moto crown.
1893 में आज जापान के व्यवसायी, Ko-kichi Miki-moto ने पहली बार मोती को लैब में तैयार किया था… Miki-moto नाम की कंपनी की स्थापना करते हुए उन्होंने pearl industry की शुरुआत भी की थी… उस दौर में मोती को मनुष्य द्वारा तैयार कर पाना असंभव माना जाता था… खास बात ये है कि 2002 से 2007 के बीच Miss Universe के ताज के तौर पर इस्तेमाल होने वाला Phoenix Miki-moto crown भी उनके आविष्कारों में से एक है…